Want to get wholesale right first time?
Of course you do.
But hold still while I read your mind.
Aaaah. Something’s coming though…
You’re an artist, designer, crafter or maker.
You’re crazily in love with your creative process. Like, mussed-up-hair, sore-lips-from-kissing, mysterious-inner-glow in love.
You already sell your work directly to the public and it’s going pretty well.
You’ve got a successful store on Etsy, Folksy, Not On The High Street or another marketplace. Or perhaps you’ve built up a serious following on the craft show circuit and through your own website.
Whatever you’re doing, it’s working.
People love your stuff. The lovely thing you make is in demand and sales are so good that some days you have to make two trips to the post office.
But you also have bills. And student loans. Or a day job you’re not exactly crazy about. And a demanding cat who expects to be fed every damn night.
You’re working round the clock but money’s still too tight to mention. You know you need to SELL MORE STUFF.
But how? And who to? Where are all these extra customers going to come from?
Here, have a tic-tac. Go on, take two.
Now here’s what I want you to know:
Wholesale doesn’t have to be another big obstacle you have to overcome
If you’re a creative type, I’m guessing there’ve been plenty of those already, right?
Selling your work to independent shops and galleries can transform your creative business.
It could be the best decision you’ll ever make because:
- You can scale your business, without working 24/7.
- You have the opportunity to reach many more customers than you ever could on your own.
- You can leave responding to every teeny customer service query to the retailer.
- You’ll build your reputation and credibility as more and more shops stock your work.
- Your workload will become more predictable – no more dropping everything the second an order comes in.
- You call the shots. Always.
- You can earn your living from doing what you love.
As an indie retailer I’ve got the inside track on what you need to know.
My Indie Retail Starter Kit is a free, subscriber-only digital course for artists, makers and designers who want to sell their work to shops.
The course is called The Joy of Wholesale (I believe there’s another how-to book with a similar title. To help you tell the difference, you can do everything in my book with your clothes on. Or not. I ain’t judgin’.)
- What the hell IS wholesale, anyway?
- Why selling your work to shops and galleries could be the smartest thing you’ll ever do for your business.
- How wholesale makes you money.
- The hidden benefits of wholesale for your bank account, your customers and your happiness.
- How to look at your product like a buyer.
- The seven features retail-ready products have in common.
- Exactly what shopkeepers are looking for from your product.
- A checklist of things you MUST have before you even think about getting started.
- What’s branding? Hint – it involves melon ballers.
- How to read your customer’s mind so your product sells like frikkin’ hotcakes.
- Why what you think you know about your customer is probably wrong.
- How to avoid making the biggest (and most common) branding mistake.
- The easy way to find out who your customer REALLY is.
- How to find potential stockists who actually want and need to hear from you.
- How to price your work for wholesale and retail in way that actually takes care of you.
- Why it’s okay to feel weird about putting a price the lovely thing you make.
- A step-by-step guide to figuring out how much to charge retailers for your work, with worked examples.
- How to work out your hourly rate. (What do you mean, you don’t have one?)
- Why profit is so much more than cash that’s left over – and how to put it to work.
- How to turn your wholesale price into your retail price.
- Why undercutting your stockists is a HUGE mistake, and how to make sure you don’t do it.
- Why raising your prices with confidence means more customers, not fewer.
- Why researching your competitors is essential. (No more going la-la-la and pretending they don’t exist.)
- How to do market research that doesn’t make you want to die.
- What to do if your product is at the lower or higher end of the price range.
- Why knowing where you fit in is essential to your success.
- How to position your product in a way that makes customers and retailers come to YOU.
- How sale or return/consignment works.
- Why it might be killing your business.
- How to weigh up the pitfalls and advantages for your particular business.
- How to wean existing stockists off sale or return – and start making some money.
- The simplest, quickest and best way to decide if selling your work to shops is right for you.
The Indie Retail starter kit walks you step-by-step through the process of pricing, branding, positioning and selling your product like a pro.
It also includes:
- 100-minutes of high-quality audio
- 99 pages of help and advice
- worksheets and exercises
- real-life examples
- jokes about hedgehogs
- a whole lotta kick-ass inspiration to help you DO THIS THING
And it’s completely free.
Enter your name and email address below and you’ll automagically receive instant access to the PDF and audio recordings in the Indie Retail starter kit, as well as regular emails from me to help you get your wholesale groove on.
If you’re ready to learn how to sell your work to shops in a way that’s non-icky (for them) and non-terrifying (for you), enter your name and email address in the space below.
I know you can rock this, so let’s get to work!